Monday, May 02, 2005

She Was Thicker Than The Kick Off Supersonic



There's some albums you never forget experiencing for the first time. You don't just remember the first time you listened, but inconsequential minutae surrounding those virgin plays. Sadly, it seems that as one gets older, newer albums of even equal quality, seem to lose the significance of those that shaped your love in music. Today, I often re-examine some of my favorite albums from pre-teen years and am shocked at how mediocre they really are. Therefore, I especially cherish any album that I 'experience' after my high school years.


I haven't had many 'experiences' as an adult. Even more depressing is that my love for some of these 'experienced' albums is not sudden and immediate. The Unseen and Madvillainy took some digestion before I realized their brilliance. (Maybe it's a Madlib thing?) Perhaps the only album of the past eight or so years to instantly dazzle me was MF DOOM's Operation Doomsday. After hearing a certain now-jailed message board veteran incessantly rave about the album's brilliance, I was able to track down some MP3s in a pre-Napster era. On first listen, I was floored at the album's unique feel and overall quality. The next day, I woke up and decided that picking up this album was ultimately more important than attending some core college courses. I have no regrets. Doomsday was in my crate for every radio show I ever did, spanning roughly 3 years. Just in case. (That would prove to be helpful when an unmasked Dumile, then rumored to be much more reclusive than now, attended the radio show and read what would prove to be our only PSA.)

DOOM has been getting alot of 'featured artist' love of late. Featured today is Zero 7's 'Somersault (Dangermouse Remix.)' Zero 7 is composed of British producers Sam Hardaker and Henry Bims, and may remind hip-hop fans of Morcheeba, although that comparison could be way off (my ear for electronica and IDM is a bit untrained.) 'Somersault' features the lovely vocals of Sia Furler, as the remix works in two fine verses from Doom, and spectacular production from Dangermouse. Hopefully, this is an accurate preview of the quality of the upcoming Danger Doom project.

My guess is that some of you hip-hop fans will scoff at the softer, orchestral feel of this track. I, myself, am a sucker for the hip-hop love song. Enjoy and hit up the Comments section with a short review.

Zero 7 f/ MF DOOM: Somersault (Dangermouse Remix) MP3

9 Comments:

At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Big Black Afro said...

Thanks for the MF Doom post. I got that track a few months ago, but the quality of the mp3 I had before was really poor and bootleggish (not sure about this as an adjective). You shouldn't offend too many Doom fans with the softer side to this cut...the tracks he did with Herbaliser and the Gorillaz were just as "dreamy". I respect the man's versatilty---fuck the haters. Peace and hair grease...

 
At 1:51 AM, Blogger Chris Bass said...

Yeah thanks - I used to play bass in a band that Sia sang for -great girl, great singer - Doom is off the heezy

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger beez said...

Damn, that track is all kinds of pleasant. I think i like DOOM on mellow tracks a lot. "Rhinestone Cowboy" is probably my favourite track of his since "Dead Bent". I really hated the original version of this track (the vocal thing, is that Zero 7?) but it was played out over here like most Chillout shit. Staypropped.

 
At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Zilla said...

Nerd fact for "Somersault"--

This song was the 100 millionth download on iTunes music store.

And Doom killed it as usual. He's a beast.

 
At 10:29 PM, Anonymous charles said...

hey, you're a rap nerd. So I was wondering do you know of a website that lists what samples are on what album? And hell yeah that's a good track

 
At 11:54 PM, Anonymous Big Black Afro said...

Just in case Charles comes back, I thought I'd suggest www.the-breaks.com. It has a fairly large directory, and there are some links to Samplethread and other sites that might help you get the information you want. I'm not THE RAP NERD, but I am a rap-loving nerd. Peace and hairgrease...

 
At 1:00 AM, Anonymous charles said...

Thanks buddy

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger TerribleJim said...

One of my favorite experiences of an albums first listen goes to the ever hilarious Kool Keith. I had heard that he was doing an album called Dr. Dooom. so rode over to Tower Records and crept around. I saw an album called Dr. Dooom but it was one of those pen and pixel covers so i skipped over it...upon further review I realized that the wig-laden weirdo on the cover was actuall keith...draped in an elvis wig, surrounded by gorillas and dirty diapers...at the time i had a tape player in the car so i copped the tape and cd and drove home..i can't remember laffing so hard by myself...the people on Memorial drive must have thought i had lost it..."Throwing cigarette lighters at you at a gas station"
has anyone ever noticed that for 5 or six songs in a row if you skip thru and only listen to the forst few seconds he starts each one by simply sayin "YEAH!"
but the Doomsday is an instant classic of course...i too can admit that it was a staple of the radio days

 
At 7:33 AM, Anonymous promotion said...

Cool Blog Here! I have a pixel web site If want to promote your web site on my http://www.pixelhurricane.com website the cost is $497.00 for a 100 block of pixels but it will get your site listed in the top of the search engines. promotion

 

Post a Comment

<< Home