Friday, March 18, 2005

Get My Drink On And My Smoke On...



Rap producers really love "The Edge" by David McCallum. Really love it. In three years, four well-respected producers (Dr. Dre, Rockwilder, VIC, Godfather Don) sampled "The Edge" in a near identical manner.

The biggest hit of the four was, of course, Dr. Dre's "The Next Episode." Since I lost Dre's number, I can't confirm the accuracy of this but FatBeats.com claims that Dre sampled "The Edge" after hearing Missin Linx's "M.I.A." On M.I.A., Black Attack, Problems, and Al' Tariq (f/k/a Fashion from The Beatnuts) grime it up with one of the finer choruses in recent memory. Right around the same time the "M.I.A." twelve dropped, Scaramanga (aka Sir Menelik or Cyclops 4000) dropped Seven Eyes, Seven Horns featuring the Godfather Don laced "Death Letter Remix."

In 1998, on his solo effort Rap Life, Tash's "Fallin On" nicked the "The Edge." As much as I love Tash and Da Rockwilder, who produced the track, I don't care much for "Fallin On" and did not include the audio. If you're dying to hear it, hit up the comments section and I'll make it happen.

Missin Linx: M.I.A. (mp3)
Scaramanga f/ Scholarwise: Death Letter Remix (mp3)
Dr. Dre f/ Snoop Dogg, Nate Dogg: The Next Episode (mp3)

Shout to Adam Wise for the hosting. Yousendit is right for the price but a hassle regardless.

2 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

scaramanga is awesome

 
At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Mr. E said...

Man! I think Missin Linx flipped that sample better than Dre. Rruggid. Great blog, btw.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home