Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Fresh Off Work Release, Hercules

"Without the theme music and action it would be a run of the mill police show." I can't confess to ever seeing the TV show S.W.A.T., so I'll take the word of IMDB's helpful users. S.W.A.T.'s legacy in the rap world is significant. Its theme was sampled for two pretty damn good rap songs.

Charlemagne offered his version on The War Report's "Stay Tuned," which was titled as "Thug Paradise" on the Nothing To Lose Soundtrack. Capone N Noreaga, and Tragedy handle mic duties nicely. I think the most notable lyric tidbit about this song is that both Nore and Trag work the City of Poughkeepsie into their verses. Some thoughts from friend Ben, arguably the biggest fan of QB rap ever:

'War Report' is/was one of the best albums of 1997 (as hip-hop began it's downward spiral) maybe even knocking off 'Stakes is High' for the album of the yerr spot (honorable mention to funcrusher). stellar debut. imagine if thug paradise and calm down had been included! i had a buddy who said thug paradise was included on his retail CD! nothing of the sort on my cassette or copied cd. funk flex used to give it crazy burn on hot 97, but never played the nore verse. 'round my way lil punks on dirt bikes used to ride through the hood echoing the 'hey-ya, hey-ya.... hey yaaah' chant. very eery in the suburban dusk.


It's been a long time since we've heard from K-Solo. He traded bars with Redman on 1996's "It's Like That (My Big Brother,)" which got much love on Rap City during the Joe Clair era. If you've heard something from K since then, let me know. In 1990, Solo dropped "Real Solo Please Stand Up" on his Tell The World My Name album. To give some perspective on the times, I think this was a cassette/album only release. Has this ever made it onto CD? If not, someone needs to re-release it!

Capone N Noreaga f/ Tragedy: Stay Tuned aka Thug Paradise (link 1) (link 2) (link 3) (buy it!) (Penalty, 1997)
K-Solo: Real Solo Please Stand Up (link 1) (link 2) (link 3) (buy it!) (Atlantic, 1990)

PS: On a total random thought, Ghostface Killah's "Beat The Clock" is just an amazing song. Additionally, the unintentional comedy factor is great. He refers to his Supreme Clientele single as "Cherchez La Me." Brilliant.

3 Comments:

At 5:17 PM, Blogger TerribleJim said...

yo doola let it be known that the man known as K-Solo did ashow at the dive spot fo the year, Sammy's Patio in Revere, MA. My girl performad at the show as well. I can't actually say that i saw him cuz i was only there B-R-I-E-F-LY but the lady friend said he was there.

 
At 2:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to clarify my coronation as: "arguably the biggest fan of QB rap ever"

Can we say 90's QB rap? Mobb lost me after Murder Muzik and I just don't feel Mega or Littles. I guess you can only kill a man so many different ways on wax! Nowadays I'm far less violently-minded, thanks to years of keeping my head in a large calming canabis cloud.

As for Ghost, Beat the Clock is unquestionably a DOPE song: "I hold the Mic like Gale Sayers, hoppin over chairs!"

-Big Ben the Download Disciple

"Potent Like Ibuprofin"
"Lookin all suspicious in pictures"
"Happy wife-beater day" [?!]

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger ljs said...

Ben, you need to give Mega another shot. Promise. He's the only dude still holding that early 90s QB ethos down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home